What we do and don’t know about the shooting of 2 National Guard members in DC

Officials say the suspect in Wednesday's attack is an Afghan national, and some details have been released about the two Guard members, one of whom has died. The motive for the attack was not clear.

Here’s what we know so far and what we don’t know:

One National Guard member has died

President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, had died from her injuries. Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, was in “very critical condition,” Gov. Patrick Morrisey, R-W.Va., said Friday.

They were deployed as part of Trump’s crime-fighting mission that involved taking over the District of Columbia's police department. Beckstrom and Wolfe had been on orders in Washington since August, according to the West Virginia National Guard.

Beckstrom, of Summersville, West Virginia, had volunteered “to ensure the safety and security of our nation's capital,” the Guard said in a statement. She graduated from Webster County High School in June 2023 and enlisted that month, serving “with distinction” as a military police officer, the Guard said. “She exemplified leadership, dedication, and professionalism."

Wolfe, of Martinsburg, West Virginia, entered service in February 2019. He had graduated from Musselman High School in 2019, said Karla Troppman, a spokesperson for the Berkeley County Schools.

Principal Alicia Riggleman described him as "an active, engaged, and high-achieving student who embodied the Applemen spirit, contributing positively to our school community both academically and athletically.”

How the attack unfolded

Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney in Washington, said the suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, drove from Washington state to launch an “ambush-style” attack with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver.

Video reviewed by investigators showed the assailant “came around the corner” and immediately started firing at the troops, according to Jeffery Carroll, an executive assistant police chief. Service members ran over and held down the shooter, who was taken into custody, he said. Authorities believe he was the only gunman.

Carroll said that it was not clear whether one of the Guard members or a law enforcement officer shot the suspect.

 
 

Enjoyed this article? Stay informed by joining our newsletter!

Comments

You must be logged in to post a comment.

About Author